USCIS recently announced it will destroy Employment Authorization Card, Travel Documents, and Lawful Permanent Resident Cards which are returned to USCIS as undeliverable. After 60 business days, the cards will be destroyed if the you have not contacted USCIS and provided a correct address.

Most individuals who are not U.S. citizens must report any address change within 10 days of moving. Updating your address is particularly important when you have a pending application with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”). USCIS sends all notices, including receipts, biometric (fingerprint) appointment notices and decisions, by mail. USCIS also sends Employment Authorization Documents and Lawful Permanent Resident Cards by postal mail. It is also important to update your address because USCIS may also request additional information for your application. Typically, you must respond with the requested information within a particular timeframe. Failure to respond on time could lead to your application being delayed or denied.

Address changes can be completed on Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card. The completed form can be mailed to the appropriate USCIS office or in some cases, completed on USCIS’ website. In addition to changing your address with USCIS, you should also change your address with the U.S. Postal Service (“USPS”); however, changing your address only with the USPS is not sufficient.  Even if a change of address was filed with USPS, USCIS does not automatically forward mail to the new address. It is your responsibility to ensure USCIS has your correct address on file.

If you are a client of Lopez Immigration Law and need to update your address, we will gladly prepare Form AR-11 for you.

For information on your specific situation, we recommend you use our contact form to schedule an appointment with our office. We would be glad to help you determine the best option for you.