Have you ever wondered why you have not received correspondence from United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)? Perhaps you believe your case is taking longer than usual and you should have already received a decision.

Then you remember that a few months ago you moved out of your house and never notified USCIS of your new address. This small oversight can affect your immigration case greatly. USCIS notifies applicants about their cases through letters. There are several reasons why USCIS can send you correspondence about your case. Some of them include:

  • Receipt Notification for any Application
  • Biometric Appointment
  • Approval Notification
  • Denial Notification
  • Request for Additional Evidence
  • Mailing of your Employment Authorization Document
  • Mailing of your Permanent Resident Card

USCIS will send the above notifications to the address provided on your application. Even when you update your address with the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), your correspondence is not always sent automatically to your new address. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure USCIS has your new address.

When an Employment Authorization Document card or a Permanent Resident Card is sent to the wrong address, the card may be lost, and the applicant may have to submit a new application and repay the fees to USCIS and perhaps to their representative.

Most non-United States citizens must report a change of address within 10 days of moving within the United States. Updating your address is especially important when you have an application pending with USCIS and are waiting to receive notification of a decision.

There are two free ways to submit a change of address to USCIS. The first way is to submit Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, electronically through the USCIS website. If the applicant cannot submit their application electronically, they can complete their Form AR-11 on paper and mail it to the appropriate address.

If the applicant does not have a pending case, the Form AR-11 can be sent to the following address:

Attn: Change of Address
1344 Pleasants Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22801

If the applicant has a pending or recently approved application (other than an application for VAWA or T or U Visa):

Step 1: Submit your AR-11 application electronically or by mail.
Step 2: Change your address on any pending or newly approved application electronically or by phone to 1800-375-5283.

To submit Form AR-11 electronically, use the following USCIS website: https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do

You will need the following information when submitting Form AR-11 electronically:

  • Receipt Notification(s)
  • Alien Number
  • Previous Address
  • New Address

After you have submitted your change of address, USCIS will provide a confirmation of the change and you should start to receive correspondence from USCIS at your new address.

If the applicant has a pending or an approved application for VAWA or a T or U Visa:

The applicant must send the AR-11 request by mail only to:

USICS Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001