October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM). Lopez Immigration Law is proud to represent survivors of domestic violence in U Visa and Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) petitions. We are grateful to work closely with local organizations which also support survivors. Because we understand the unique challenges survivors face, raising awareness about domestic violence is important for us.
Below are some ways you can get involved in raising awareness this month:
- Wear purple: Purple is the color of Domestic Violence Awareness Month. We will be wearing it throughout the month, but especially on #PurpleThursday, which is October 24. Pick up a purple ribbon at our office!
- Learn the national and state statistics on domestic violence.
- Post the National Domestic Violence Hotline (1-800-799-7233) on social media and save it in your phone. Posting the National Domestic Violence Hotline is an easy way to spread the word about important resources. You never know when you will encounter someone who might need domestic violence services.
- Support local organizations who support survivors of domestic violence: UMOS Latina Resource Center, The Women’s Center, Sojourner Family Peace Center, and End Abuse Wisconsin. You can donate your time and/or resources.
- Attend a local event. Sojourner Family Peace Center is organizing a walk on Saturday, October 12.
Thank you for joining us in raising awareness this month!