April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). SAAM exists to raise public awareness about sexual violence and educate communities on how to prevent it. Lopez Immigration Law is proud to represent survivors of sexual assault in U Visa and Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) petitions. We are grateful to work closely with local organizations which also support survivors. Because we understand the unique challenges survivors face, raising awareness about sexual assault is important for us.
Below are some ways you can get involved in raising awareness this month:
- Wear teal: Teal is the color of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. We will be wearing it throughout the month.
- Wear denim on #DenimDay, which is Wednesday, April 29.
- Learn the national statistics on sexual assault.
- Post the National Sexual Assault Hotline (1-800-656-HOPE (4673)) on social media and save it in your phone. Posting the National Sexual Assault Hotline is an easy way to spread the word about important resources. You never know when you will encounter someone who might need the services.
- Support local organizations who support survivors of domestic violence: UMOS Latina Resource Center, The Women’s Center, Sojourner Family Peace Center, and End Abuse Wisconsin. You can donate your time and/or resources.
Thank you for joining us in raising awareness this month!